Sunday, March 23, 2008

Our very own REYNA ELENA....







Nothing last forever, there goes the old familiar saying. There always come a time when you know you have to say goodbye and I’ve reached that point again. I was actually talking about my friend Rommel.

As I write this, he might be all set, geared up and had packed his things and ready to go.

A few weeks ago I promise Rommel that I would write about him and feature him here at my blog like I always do to my other friends who leave or not. I’ve been contemplating about what to say, in a positive way. It’s not that I’ve been running out of words but because of the many things I wanted to write about him.

Rommel and I have been friends for almost six years now. He is one of my oldest friends here in Riyadh. I always knew from the start, the moment I met him that we would become good friends to some degree.

Rommel for me is well, Rommel. I remember one time on our way to the EP forever years ago. We would hitch in this 10-wheeler truck in the middle of the desert with a stranger who drives us four hours way through to the EP. It was an adventure. We arrived to the place safe and sound though.

One of the many things I liked ‘bout Rommel is, he’s being adventurous and outgoing, it weird’s me out sometimes. Our adventure to the EP is just one of the many crazy memorable things we have shared over the years.

Rommel has come a long way since he first arrived in the Kingdom. He accomplished a lot of things. He came up with the idea and put up the now successful QIL for one. The now inactive LAPEMTS. He has become a member and an officer of the Mabuhay Toastmasters Club for years. He has recently been teaching IT at COMSOFIL and I had the chance to sit-in at one of his class one time. Though he was nervous at first but he came out very good at it.

The leadership quality of Rommel continues while serving as an officer of RAGI whom I was a member too. Not to mention he’s a good dancer and an efficient public speaker. And the list goes on and on…. There are just some people who are meant to stand out. Rommel is one of them. That’s the thing with him, he never felt he needed to prove to people that he was good. He is comfortable with the fact that he is. For him, it came naturally.

You might think Rommel is perfect but he’s not. I’ve witnessed his imperfections esp. when his inlove and I too can relate to him sometimes. It felt like Rommel and I had something in common in so many ways.

Rommel’s life has always been a roller coaster. There is nothing that exhilarates him more than his family back in the Philippines. I mean, his father passed away a couple of years ago, but he showed how strong he was as a person. I held his hand when his father died and he held mine when I cried because of love. He’s family is all that’s he’s ever got aside from us.

Nothing seemed to bother Rommel, much to his surprise, even. He came out of this knowing how strong he really was. These are things we can only hope for and that we ourselves will realize in our own time.

So it’s hard for me to see Rommel go.

Personally, I've never been very good at good-byes. I see someone walking into the boarding area at the airport, or getting into a bus or a car and there's something sad about it. Saying good-bye to someone like Rommel whom I've gotten to know for years is daunting to say the least. It feels as though a family is losing an important member. Those who thought they were alone with their problems discovered they had people to share them with.

My love goes out to you, Miss Reyna Elena and best wishes for the future.

Here it goes, just as I promise you a special feature at my blog. I guess you wouldn’t be called Reyna Elena for no reason at all.

Long live the queen, choz!

7 comments:

mHeL said...

grabe touch-ed ako promise. thank you for such inspiring words. dami mo palang reserved words para sa akin i never thought na meron kang word bank of adjectives for moi.

Anonymous said...

holiday lang sya sa pinas or for good stay nya dun?

wish him all the best! 6yrs is such a bloody long time in riyadh. i'm sure his family will be very happy to see him come home.

i remember our conversation one time about rommel :)

anywayz, thanks for the update. nag-update din ako *hehehe*

BoBoT said...

your welcome mhel..anytime!

gonna miss u gurly...

BoBoT said...

for good j, but he's gonna back soon...

KRIS JASPER said...

dapat araw ng pagkabuhay... pero yung post mo ngayon parang byernes santo ulit... :)

anw, im sure he'll keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

Ya, mamamiss natin si Rommel. and Ya rin, he's coming back soon naman e. Ay sa wakas, ndi na mala britney fever ang post nya. Nice breathe of fresh air in here. WHEW! :)

Sorry Rommel ndi kita nagawan ng post na para sa iyo lamang. Kasi nman simula kahapon, hanggang ngaun pinagsisiskapan kong kumpletuhin ang listahan ng mga luluksyus na na involve sayo, na link, na associate... andami nila in fairness... :) hahahah

We'll miss u. Long live the queen nga, sabi ng iba dyan na 58 years in the making ang post. HMP! :)

BoBoT said...

tnx kitty..

pressurista ka kc eh..kaya ayan na talaga ang post ko pra sa lola mo.

daba daba daba...