Sunday, November 18, 2007

All by myself....

Nothing much to say here so I’d rather post a new word of the day for today.
I’m actually pre-occupied with work right now at the office. My officemate Archie isn’t with me so it’s like I’m gonna be dealing some of his stuff all by myself. Sometimes what he’s doing is beyond my comprehension..hehe! Good thing is that I could call him up at his mobile anytime. That would definitely give a LENITIVE effect in my aching brain. Hopefully he'll answer all my calls. I can see it, its like i'm gonna bug him all day long. caloca.com
But hey, I can do this!

So there…..
Anyway,
The Word of the Day for November 18, 2007 is:

lenitive • \LEN-uh-tiv\ • adjective

: alleviating pain or harshness : soothing

Example Sentence:

Ryan's mother insisted that a steaming cup of herbal tea would have a lenitive effect on his stomachache.

Did you know?

"Lenitive" first appeared in English in the 15th century. It derived from the Latin verb "lenire" ("to soften or soothe"), which was itself formed from the adjective "lenis," meaning "soft" or "mild." "Lenire" also gave us the adjective "lenient," which usually means "tolerant" or "indulgent" today but in its original sense carried the meaning of "relieving pain or stress." Often found in medical contexts, "lenitive" can also be a noun referring to a treatment (such as a salve) with soothing or healing properties.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like in highschool wherein we had a constant assignment of having at least 10 vocabulary words every single madafaking week. Nyeta, bad memories nanaman, naalala ko napatayo ako sa chair magisa sa buong klase dahil ako lang ang nakalimot. Ano bang malay ko na gumawa sila, kamusta naman sila, mga walang pakisama sa majumad. hihi! :)

BoBoT said...

OA ha, mag isa k lng talga nakalimot.

sobrang competition naman ung class nyo. cguro gusto ka nilang iligwak talga.

vale k b grumadweyt..