Saturday, July 28, 2007

Happy 18th birthday - 20 yrs. after

MJ, the debutante
Party, pARTY
a pose with the debutante MJ

Since I had nothing much to do at the office right now. Than just sit still for eight hours doing nothing, so I have decided to just write about how I spent my weekend.

There are days that I just want to write and write and write and I guess this is one of those days. No more writers block, no writing rituals or am I just inspired? Perhaps this is my way of telling and reminding myself how important it is somehow to write the things that I cannot say and perhaps in a much deeper and sincere way of saying it. Like my friend Mike used to tell me, he writes what he cannot say. So that makes the two of us! But I’d say this is more of a blog or an online journal.

Moving on, it’s been an amazing weekends I just had. This has been the second consecutive weekend of July that I had to spend it with a blast. First, a birthday celebration of the two of my dearest friends and a couple of Thursdays ago, a birthday celebration yet again of MJ a long time friend of mine.

The part that I liked most at the party was the 18 candles debut-like ceremony. It’s like 38 going on 18, back-to-future kind of thing. There must have been an explanation for that. 18 candles was distributed to friends who are closes to MJ and guess what? I was one of those lucky ones as well wishers. The embarrassing part was that we had to speak and say something from heart for the debutante/celebrator. I know for a fact, that I am not really good at speeches. In fact, I’ve been telling them I’d rather write than speak in front. Oh God, my toastmaster’s days are sooo over. As expected, I had nothing much to say to MJ but the usual greetings and wishes to someone who just celebrated their birthday. Quite embarrassing, isn’t it? But who really cares. We were all there to enjoy the moment, not to critique ourselves at how we suck.

I have to say I enjoyed the bash as much as I enjoyed RL’s and QJ’s bday bash. I have witnessed yet again how creative and talented my friends really are, helping with the décor and the food prep. It was colorful, fun-filled and exciting celebration that is. It was a great culinary treat from MJ. Everyone somehow had a rollicking good time. MJ has definitely thrown a party as fabulous as the one I had attended weeks ago.

The sad part was that I had to leave early and exit as gracefully as I could that night. I wanted to witness what’s going to happen next after the 18 candles. I’ve heard about the 18 bananas as well, the games and the surprise show that my effeminate friends had prepare for the celebrator. But I just couldn’t, I had to attend a get-together at one of the American compounds here, from a friend’s invitation that I could not refuse. I had to be there. No matter how and what my heart says that I have to stay, I just couldn’t do that. I have committed myself to something and I don’t want to break that. Besides, it’s all fair now, I showed up at both occasion.

I never would have cared too much about the time; at how late it really was, as long as I’d be there. I’m used to sleeping late even during weekdays, anyway, though I myself had been a long time devotee of late night partying as well as late night film-viewing. I could party for hours as long as I had the next day reserved for me just to recuperate. I just made a habit to set aside the whole day for sleeping. The moment I’d wake up I have this clear mind – and a clear conscience, all energized to do personal things i.e. keeping my bed tidy, do the ironing, etc. etc.

So how was your weekends of july? I just hope u had a blast too…….

P.S. to MJ, I surely had a blast at your bday bash. You never cease to awaken the party- animal side of us. Happy 18th birthday 20 years after!!!!

No comments: