Wednesday, July 25, 2007

My happy or unhappy ending?






There comes a time when every life goes off course. In this desperate moment you must choose your direction. Will you fight to stay on the path while others tell you who you are? Or will you label yourself? Will you be honored by your choice? Or will you embrace your new path? Each morning you choose to move forward or to simply give up.

I always believe that everything in this world has its limits. No matter how good or how bad the situation might be, it will always come to an end. The bittersweet challenges, the infernal & biting realities of human life.

It was September of last year that I got a call from a friend telling me about this job that was being offered to him. The reason why he called me was that he declined the offer and he wanted to give it to me. I was ecstatic upon hearing about the good news. I waited for years for opportunities to come like this. Without second thought, I wholeheartedly accept the offer, though I’m only second choice. It was like a chance for me in all aspect. First, I had all the time in the world for the job. Second, I am financially constraint that time. Third, I wanted to try having two jobs at a time.

I’ve heard a lot from my friends how difficult and how demanding it was for them to have two jobs. And the rewards they get afterwards. I wanted to experience all that for myself.

All my life I’ve been easy-go-lucky. I never put so much pressure in everything that I do. It was because I was young then. When you’re younger you tend to take things for granted. And that is exactly what I was back then. I was more about the thrills and the adrenalin rushes. I never really cared about the future. I always have this principle in life; to live life one day as it comes. I stick to that principle for so long.

This second job of mine made a whole lot of difference in every situation in my life, good or bad. Financially I was more blessed than I was before. At least I never had the hard time finding solutions if I needed money. I always come up with something and get away easily. But in every glory comes the corresponding negative side of it. Just like everything was put to balance. Physically I was exhausted. I lost 10lbs. I felt like my body was deteriorating. For months I don’t remember having a good night sleep. I always had lack of sleep. I would collapse myself to bed of exhaustion.

The pressure from my job and my other job goes hand in hand. I had to juggle myself from here to there that sometimes I forgot which one to prioritize. I felt like I have lost my direction and purpose. I missed out on a lot of things. My social life has suffered. I never had the time for my friends that much anymore. It’s really tough.

The month of April has been a roller-coaster ride for me. There are a lot of things going on. A lot of things I have experienced and have yet to experience. I had to stay late at work, my working hours was extended for another two hours that sometimes I could not make it at my other job. With this, I would receive not-so-good-to-hear comments from my second job, over and over again, until they would stop and just leave things the way I do, whatever it is that I’m doing. For as long as I would do my job as instructed way back when I first started with them.

On the contrary, they would appreciate at what I do; they would praise me with my good performance, that somehow boosted my morale and it gives me the opportunity to do my job really well. It’s just that time was not always on my side, I had to admit that.

I would fear that I would loose both my job in the process. I was too scared, or maybe just too self-conscious, to really stand for the decision I had made when I first accepted the job. I was too cynical and too negative about what my colleagues at my other job had to say about me, that sometimes I wanted to give up and like quit and like told myself this is the part of dimming off the light.

Six months I thought was enough for me. It’s like the end of the line. I have fulfilled my purpose; I have experienced what I wanted to experience. I have helped the people close to me and in my heart and I’m happy about that.

Right now at this very moment, I am enjoying myself, maybe because I am already used to these two jobs of mine, I really am. Although many times I feel like quitting but I always believe it is just a matter of how to balance your life.

Nevertheless, now I could do whatever I want to do. I could do the things that I have been doing six months ago i.e. I missed my bed, I missed my late night film-viewing, I missed browsing the internet until wee hours in the morning. I missed my music. I missed my huge collection of US TV series and divx movies. I missed my friends. I missed my family. I missed myself above all. At least I still have the time to do some of this during weekends.

And this newfound joy and liberation, ironic as it seems, is the gift that comes with good decision. I truly hope that one day I won’t regret with the decision, the path and the choice that I made, and that is to stay.
PS. I thank my friend rommel for introducing me to UC.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is good to know that you enjoy working day and night. it is not a matter of how much you earn (although in reality we really need to earn big so we could sustain our life even better) but a matter of enjoying things and feel fulfilled in what you're doing. i can attest to your statement because i do have two jobs too. as a matter of fact i don't receive my salary on time but since i enjoy what i do and i have this certain fulfillment in me that tells to keep on moving i'm still here and it's already my 5th month. thanks to a friend that gives me this job.

Charmed One said...

seryoso ito?

get ready na inday ha.

im coming on august 1 to riyadh, kaya be available.

BoBoT said...

oo naman. happy ito!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.