Monday, July 30, 2007

Insomnia Insomniac



Restless, disturbed, tossing and turning, impatient, middle of the night awakenings, black circles around the eyes, etc, etc. These are just some of the few signs visible in a person experiencing insomnia.

Evidently, people who suffer insomnia are insomniac. Scientifically speaking, insomnia as define is characterized by an inability to sleep and/or inability to remain asleep for a reasonable period. It is often caused by fear, stress anxiety, medications, herbs, caffeine & depression. An overactive mind or physical pain may also be causes or too much chatting on the net until wee hours in the morning, this would count too…hehe!

Moreover, insomnia has been talked about, written in a song by popular bands like greenday’s fourth album, Enrique Iglesias eight album and some known song writers, in a book written by Stephen King no less & in a mainstream movie; insomnia in popular culture that is.

Partly, I would consider myself half insomniac, as I can relate myself lately to the definition above, i.e. caused by fear; I fear to a lot of things, losing somebody particularly losing the ones you love, family, friends, or pet maybe (knock on the wood), stress anxiety; me being a workaholic, having two jobs all at the same time, its like taking away all your energy all throughout, medications; I do drink my vits everyday, herbs; I don’t do herbs, caffeine; I love my coffee every morning and a stick of cigarette on one hand, oh that’s keeps me going & feeling the nicotine running through my body, and it follows through till in the afternoon and night, coffee and more coffee to even going to starbucks almost every weekend with friends, depression; I admit I’ve been depressed thinking about my life and what have I done with it lately, you know the feeling of having to not take care of yourself anymore. I’ve been bored quite a few times, homesick, and the worst part, I would wake up in the middle of the night crying myself out loud and then I realize it’s just a bad dream, almost a reality.

Sooooo, what’s the deal with all this insomniacs, half insomniac like me? What do they do to cure themselves, to cure us?

Well, I have done my research with high hopes that things would be as effective as they say it could be and like religiously apply it to myself.

Some traditional remedies for insomnia have included drinking warm milk before bedtime, taking a warm bath in the evening; exercising vigorously for half an hour in the afternoon, eating a large lunch and then having only a light evening meal at least three hours before bed, avoiding mentally stimulating activities in the evening hours, and making sure to get up early in the morning and to retire to bed at a reasonable hour.

Whether all these maybe effective or not, I always believe it would, that it will lead me to a deeper more restful sleep and not deprive myself of sleep anymore.

No more flutab, no more panadol night or any other medicine or sleeping pills just to make myself fall asleep and then;

Snore my way to sleep!!!(Sorry roommates)….

P.S. I have decided to post about insomnia coz 2 days in a row na akong puyat. So I have done my research extensively today and this is what I’ve got so far. Hope this helps!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your lifestyle ie too much coffee is one of the culprits...yaw na cge kape dong ug yaw worry about anything remember "if God brought to it, He will help you through it" hope you still pray a lot despite your busy sked...