Sunday, July 29, 2007

The show must go on (review on Ragi Independence Show '07)

Production Number
Production Number

It was days ago since I posted about a topic on how I liked dancing a lot and how it made such an impact on me up until today. So, what I’d be tackling right now is about how the RAGI Independence day show did go last June 15 (better late than never), some bits and pieces, highlights, adding some humor as I go on and a few feedbacks from friends who was there to witness the entire show.

(June 14, 2007, Thursday) – Technical Rehearsal
Prior to the show we had our technical rehearsal at Liwasang Bonifacio inside the Phil embassy here in riyadh. When you say tech rehearsal it usually focuses on the technological aspects of each of the participant’s performance as well as testing out all the equipments being used for the show i.e. lighting, sounds, special effects if there’s any, etc.etc., to prevent and foresee some possible glitches during the actual show and a run-through of the entire production.

Call time was 4pm. As usual, I was one of the late comers, I admit. That includes QA & QJ. Almost everyone was there when we arrived. It was like they were all in high spirits, chitchatting, while others are smoking like a chimney that includes me. Some are exchanging hi’s & hello’s while waiting instructions from the floor director and choreographers.

After an hour of waiting, finally one of the choreographers requested us to ready ourselves and do the warm-ups and some stretching like we normally do in every rehearsal. Stretched and hype-up as we are;

Then it’s time for the run-through of the entire program.

However as we move on, tension build, temper flares, choreographers looses their cool while lecturing us, as we go on performing our routines for the production number. Some of the dancers just couldn’t synchronize going in and out the stage for their turn. We trip, we fall, we stink. We were like reworking the steps over and over again, jazzing it up, wondering what to do, trying to at least level-up with the other group of dancers as we catch our breath with exhaustion. For a minute there I’d thought what we needed was divine intervention and so I’d pray. We were really in a tough situation. I’d figure out proper timing is everything, that would be the secret.

We ended up doing a very short run-through that night with a limited time. Everyone was scared and wondering what would happen the following day during the actual show.

(June 15, 2007, Friday) – The moment of truth
During the actual show at the embassy, nervousness overtakes me as soon as I step up just outside the chancery hall when I saw quite a lot of people. I went directly at the backstage to see what was going on.

Guess what?

Glitz and glamour. That’s the two adjectives that comes first in my mind the moment I saw all of my co-performers. U could feel the vibe. And what a transformation to the female dancers with the costumes they wear and the oh-so-heavy make up tastefully put-on by chin2. I was amazed. Make-ups can really do wonders. Mac, avon, maybelene, etc.etc. I’d like to commend chinchin for that, I was truly fascinated.

Our president mother r., never looses her good taste when it comes to gowns and what outfit to wear during occasions like that. She was stunningly beautiful as the host that night, with a nice gown which complimented her skin tone that would make every man drool in a good way. And the casual dress she wears during the finale, it was such a head-turner, as if it was created by Monique Lhuillier.

Moving on, here are some of the highlights of the show;

The heart-warming interpretative dance rendition of jun and tess about love, infidelity, unfaithfulness & betrayal. The choreography was stunningly intricate, showing off their artistic expression. You could really feel the music in a perfect pairing that is all romance. I give credit to jun at his ability to dance from hiphop to jazz. I was totally blown away by their performance as usual.

The fancy footwork of the male dancer’s esp. during the evolution of dance segment made the audience stick to their seats. The goofiness of orland ala Vong Navarro adds flavor to the segment.

The singing was good enough in my opinion. It was complimented by elegant & stunning outfits, to boot. The singers showcasing there abilities to belt.-out was impressive.

The production number was such an impact & the novelty dance segment somehow boosted to the somewhat slow and sappy face of the entire show. With chinchin in it, it was smashingly lively, it makes you wanna jump off your feet and dance.

Though the show had some minor glitches on the performances in every segment and the sound system. We manage to end the show successfully.

Overall, the show was a crowd-pleaser. The audience was satisfied obviously as they shout and giggled while watching and based on feedbacks from friends both positive and negative.

Congratulations to calabarzon, ragi and all the performers.

P.S. My review of the show maybe late, but I guess it’s worth the post!

2 comments:

Charmed One said...

I wish I was there to see your show. Di bale next time I'll try to watch your show.

BoBoT said...

ok lng yan gurlie. dami pang show ang ragi. just enjoy the pix!

tnx sa comment..hehe