Monday, August 27, 2007

Sense of belongingness, whatsoever....

mince pepper..haha!

Have u ever felt in your entire existence feeling like you’re an “outsider”? Feeling like you do not belong? Or someone made you feel that way?

When I started working in my new job, I knew there would be things to expect. I told myself whatever they where; it would be something to look forward to. But my expectations quickly vanished. I have never felt so neglected and sooo deprived ever in my life than these past 2 days. You know the feeling of being worthless and being ignored by people you do not expect they could do it to you. Especially people that I work with and people that I considered superiors. No matter how I pep talk myself to not get affected I still could not control my emotions.

I couldn’t help but mesmerize about my good ol’ days with my previous job and remember the wonderful years I have spent with all those exceptional individuals. The working hours is fantastic. All the facilities are high-end. A round-the-clock access to the internet and kingdom-wide phone calls using IP phone, similar to the ones being used in the popular US television series “24”. You can even talk to your friends, 5 of your friends all at the same time.

You name it, stc’s got it all. Oh God, There! I can’t believe I just mention stc. Well, I can’t help it. It’s just that I kind of feel like everything in stc is being serve in a silver platter. I would have left stc and not stayed for almost 5 yrs if I didn’t like the job. It’s like a dream office for anyone.

However, there maybe bad days quite a few times as opposed to what I am experiencing right now. People at my new job are exaggeratedly observant of us esp. at me. I feel like I am being taken personally by some people whom I regard as my superiors. I guess what triggered there ego was my way of dealing with them. I am always been assertive but never tactless when I deal with them and that respect and professionalism mirror in what I do. Like an American statesman once said, “the most important aspect of the relationship between the President and the Secretary of State is that they both understand who is President."

Just that right now, a single mistake I make, they let me feel miserable and worthless. No matter how much effort I have exerted at what you do, still it doesn’t satisfy them. No matter how much you think you perfected, performed and accomplished the job, still it doesn’t satisfy them. Sometimes I feel like I don’t know what to do anymore.

My work as a secretary and admin support is not really a tough job although more and more varied functions and responsibilities has been applied lately. I’ve been into this for like forever and I know what my scope of work are. But right now, the demands and the expectations at my new job is high. Wrong false move then you kept the whole department talking.

Sometimes I question myself, am I that bad? Am I not performing my work the best I can? Am I not good enough for them? Or am I being discriminated because of the nature of my job.

Having said all that to redeem myself, I’d like to commend Mary Barrett, C. King Woodbridge, and Harry F. Klemfuss for their collective effort to create a special Secretary’s Day holiday, to recognize the hardwork of all the secretaries out there. April 4 is now celebrated in offices all over the world as “Administrative Professional’s Week” to highlight the increased responsibility of today’s secretary and other administrative workers, and to avoid embarrassment to those who out of political correctness believe that “secretary” refers only to women or to unskilled workers.

I say that secretaries are family too, who needs & deserve mutual respect and encouragement, like any other relationships out there.

P.S. I’d like to dedicate this piece to my friend J, we shared the same feelings on this.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi soul sistah,

baka naiinggit lang sa beauty mo. ay naku, hwag kang magpatalo dyan. you must say something.

naalala ko tuloy yun previous job ko. lahat ng gawin ko, puro mali sa kanila. bloody hell! i did talk to my HR about the issue and even to our operations mgr and division mgr. i told them everything plus i gave them names *hehehe* kala kasi nila palalampasin ko. ay naku, to hell with them *lol* you know what? these colleagues of mine got called by these mgrs and we had a big meeting. kaya binigyan sila ng warning *hehehe* tuwa ko nga. pero i didnt care anymore kasi that's when i found out i got a new job *hihihi* bahala sila gumawa ng mga procedures.

seriously, you gotta say something gurl. kung nandyan ako, i'll say it on ur behalf *hihihi*

Anonymous said...

you might want to change your name to emily. and perhaps i know the names of your superiors - mirandas that is.

say it the devil in white.

BoBoT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BoBoT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BoBoT said...

mark-it is that u?

hahahhaha

TDWP fanatic! lolz

Anonymous said...

sir, you are not suppose to delete comments about your article be them good or bad. that is how you guage people's reactions to your point of view.

Anonymous said...

happy happy birthday soul sistah!!! *huggzzz*

same bday kayo ng pinsan ko :)

may you have receive many blessings, happiness, love, good health and success today and always.

anywayz, enjoy your day!

p.s.
don't drink/smoke too much!

Anonymous said...

are they filipinos? if they are then can you let them read this?THEY ARE FUCKING LOSERS!!!speak up and fight because you are all alone there.i have learned how to fight when i worked there,dapat ganun ka rin.noma manda mira kay chene tu miedo,be strong.if they are your superiors and they are treating you badly, then resign, if you can't get another place to work, come home and look for a better place.buska ya tu otro trabaho,man search tu.maybe this is the time for you to let go of saudi arabia and the people with nuay kabesa.i did and i was right.the place is nice but the people sucks!basta you fight,and fight well... noma olbida kosa diatun tata y nana ya abla,when you are right,fight.a tooth for a tooth...

BoBoT said...

i actually deleted my own comments for mark-it. na-published ko xa thrice, kaya dinelete ko ung dalawa.
it was not anyone's comment.
Thanks.

BoBoT said...

tnx to all those who commented on these topic.
i was totally blown away by all ur comments.
don't worry i'm ok!